The School of Architecture
The School of Architecture at Taliesin was formally initiated in 1932 when twenty-three young people came to live and learn at Taliesin, Wright’s estate and home near Spring Green, Wisconsin. The School’s current program and academic life builds upon its heritage, adapting and evolving to meet the needs of a changing world.
In 1931 Frank Lloyd Wright and his wife, Olgivanna, circulated a prospectus to an international group of distinguished scholars, artists, and friends, announcing their plan to form a school at Taliesin in Spring Green where students would “Learn by Doing.” Education at Taliesin would emphasize painting, sculpture, music, drama, and dance “in their places as divisions of architecture.” Each of these elements of the fine arts, as the Wrights conceived them, would lead to broader learning. They anticipated a core faculty at Taliesin supplemented by “a guest-system of visitation, consultation and criticism.” The students, referred to as “apprentices,” would round out their education in the spirit of Tolstoy’s then- popular experiential philosophy of “What Is to Be Done.” The Wrights imagined a School where “the entire work of feeding and caring for the student body so far as possible should be done by itself… work in the gardens, fields, animal husbandry, laundry, cooking, cleaning, serving should rotate among the students according to some plan that would make them all do their bit with each kind of work at some time.”
The ambitious plan for an endowed school exceeded the Wrights’ capacity to attract funds in the second full year of the Great Depression. So, the next year, 1932, they issued a more modest circular announcing the formation of the Taliesin Fellowship and inviting young people to venture to Taliesin. The Fellowship would organize around the principles they had articulated in 1931.
一道本不卡免费高清The continuation and evolution of the expression of the Wrights’ ideas in the School and the Taliesin community over the past eight decades demonstrate the strength of their vision for learning and living. Today the School embraces the change that Mr. Wright expressed in his constant search for insight relies on nature as the primary source for that insight, and integrates notions of quality, sustainability, and beauty as essential to the development of the creative architect and human being.
Migration: Two Campuses, Two Learning Environments
一道本不卡免费高清Continuing a tradition began in 1937, the School operates seasonally at two locations. From mid–October through mid-May, the School is in session at Taliesin West in Scottsdale, Arizona. Mid-May through mid-October is spent at Taliesin in Spring Green, Wisconsin.